1st Washington Scout group have been providing adventure for children and young people of Washington since 1916.
Based at our HQ on the corner of Glebe Crescent, opposite John F. Kennedy Primary School, we offer a varied programme of adventurous activities.
Please explore the site to get a flavour of what Scouting can offer you.
This year is the centenary of our Scout group which was founded in 1916.
It's a very exciting time for us and we are hard at work planning a range of centenary events to mark the event.
- Opening up our Summer Camp to the whole group - details of that are coming soon
- Our Scout/Explorer trip to Iceland.
- A group photograph - we aim to get a photograph of everyone who is currenlty in the group via Drone at Herrington Country Park on Saturday the 18th of June - Everyone who attends will get our commemorative centenary badge (shown left) to wear on their shirt.
- Launchng a range of special merchandise to commemorate the event.
- Planting a commerative flower bed at HQ
Special Centenary Merchandise
Cubs will be following in the footsteps of Robert Baden-Powell, as we retace the hike taken from Fourstones to Humshaugh (both near Hexham) on the first ever BP scout camp. This is a chance to join us as we not only celebrate Cubs 100, but also our Scout groups centenary.
A guide will be joining us throughout the walk, and those who attend will be have the opportunity to buy a commemorative badge, woggle and certificate for £4. As we remember this special place in Scouting history, we will also be renewing our promise at Look Wide Cairn.
Date: Sunday 6 November
Meet: 1st Washington HQ
Wear: Uniform with walking shoes/boots
Arrive back: Approx 4pm
Please click here to book a seat on our minibus. We will be opening bookings to other sections within the group after the 9th of October.
You must bring a waterproof jacket, as well as a packed lunch and water bottle in your backpack. Those not on the minibus - family & friends - are invited to meet us for 11am outside of the Red Lion on Stonegate Road, Newbrough (postcode NE47 5AR).
We'll be snapping, climbing and partying as Scouts take on our Monster Media programme, wrapping up our groups centenary year in style!
Going to Confido?
Joining Instructions are now out - please print off the medical form and return it to us at your section meeting this week. We'll have spares on the night if you could please pop in and sign the form.
- Meet at Moor House Adventure Centre at 18:45 on Friday 7 October
- We'll be at Meeting Point 'H'
- Leaving Moor House Adventure Centre at 15:00 on Sunday 9 October
- Please Car Share where possible
This Saturday we made our way up Penshaw monument to take part in a centenary photo. Not everyone in the group was able to make it but we did have a great turn out none the less.
We climbed to the top of the monument for our main group shot and then headed back to Herrington Country Park to take a drone shot of all of the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers making a giant "100" it was amazing to be part of the event. You can check out our efforts on our YouTube channel.